Found An Animal? Injured, Abused, Dumped or Neglected Animal?

If you care about animals, you need to lead on helping your ‘animal-in-need’ by reading this page in full, proven-successful-solutions are on this page!

 PLEASE DON’T LEAVE a sick, injured, neglected or reproducing animal on the streets. It is just adding to the problem. It is cruel to the animal. Animals reproduce, get sick and suffer on the streets. 

Unfortunately the overpopulation, lack of no-kill shelters and under sterilization of animals in Puerto Rico is a HUGE problem. Please be aware animals do have legal rights in Puerto Rico – familiarize yourself with Law 154 Animal Protection and Welfare because you can act immediately and directly to help any mammal in need in Puerto Rico.   For articles and information about our group’s work please visit our About Us.

Is the Animal a Dog or Cat ?

#1 You Can Take The Animal Out of Puerto Rico – As your pet,  a friend’s pet or to a rescue group/shelter

Flying animals from Puerto Rico to the USA  is easy and not that expensive when you consider it is likely saving that animals life.  We have a Travel Page to help.  Once in your home area,  you (or a friend) can keep the animal as your pet or take the animal to a NO KILL SHELTER  or  foster the animal while Defensa helps you market the animal for adoption in your home area.

#2 – If flying the animal home with you is not possible

If you need help with dogs or cats we offer the Defensa Open Rescue Program

If you need help with horses please read How Horse Rescue Works in Puerto Rico

You can look for more groups to help on our page Rescue Groups in Puerto Rico

#3 – You Can Help With Emergency Animal Care

If there is an emergency situation visit our Vets Page – the 24×7 Clinics we know of our listed there.

#4 – You Can Assist With Endangered, Mistreated or Dead Animals

911 does work in Puerto Rico.   However, going into your local State Police station is always the best form of action.  You can start with 911 if you have to, ask for the local STATE POLICE office near you, they can 3-way call and explain the situation if you don’t speak Spanish.  We have found if you are polite and persistent, you will find a law official willing to respond but going into the State Police is often necessary.  They should always give you a case/querella number you can follow up using.  Reference Law 154 Animal Protection and Welfare when speaking with your local State Police.

# 5 – Lost or Found Dog or Cat

 Check out our list of groups and pages , you can put up flyers around the area – post office, feed stores, markets, police stations, and Facebook groups in your town etc.  Animals are dumped often, even wearing collars, so consider all the steps on this page.

Is the Animal a Horse?

If the animal is a horse that needs water  – please take it water in a bucket.  If it is something else to do with a horse in need please visit our Horse Rescue in Puerto Rico page.

Is the Animal a Rooster or Pig or Bird or Turtle or Fish or Monkey?

To find any of the above a home you can post to the Defensa Facebook page – bilingual with one great photo and specific details on exactly what you need (please don’t forget exact location and contact information).  Following are some groups that help with specific types of animals.

Roosters contact Jose from SOS Gallos- from Facebook Here or from his Blog Here

Beachfront or Ocean issues contact the DRNA (Departamento de Recursos Naturales y Ambientales) at for San Juan 787-999-2200 or 787-882-1605 for Aguadilla area

Report Marine Life 1-877-942-5343

Sea Turtles / Ocean Turtles facebook message Tortugas Marinas

Fish or Wildlife contact Fish and Wildlife

Monkey report to Natural Resources: (787) 882-5752, 882-4283 & 882-5893