The Defensa Open Rescue Program
Overview of the Defensa Open Rescue Program – For Un-Owned Street Rescued Animals
- We help with Vet Services at one of our Vets* and/or Marketing for Adoption
- Check our page Other Rescue Groups – If you need help we don’t offer of if you need emergency care as Vets are listed in addition to many other dog and cat rescue groups
- For help with horses please use our Puerto Rico Horse Rescue Program.
- If you would consider flying your rescued animal off the Island for an adoption please read our Airline Travel Page
- We tend to find homes & get funds for rescued dogs & cats within ONE to TWO months *IF* you work the following system with GUSTO! Read this full page for no misunderstandings PLEASE
Steps For You To Follow
#1 – SEND AN EMAIL if you’d like help with Vet services
email to email@example.com, answer all following questions. Please give us up to 24 hrs to respond to your email – sometimes we respond immediately but we can not guarantee that. We can not reimburse for services after the fact – to use our funding you need an email from us PRIOR TO going to ONE OF OUR VETS (Pet Vet, AMC or Miradero only).
- Animal Name – it must have a name for the Vet Office – the name can NOT change WITH THE VET OFFICE while you are working with Defensa – Naming Notes: You can do one email & fundraiser for a litter of animals but they all still REQUIRE individual names for the Vet.
- Which of our Vets* would you like to use Aguada AMC, Mayaquez Mirader or Isabela Pet Vet? More information on each vet on our page www.DefensaRincon.org/Vets. Please keep in mind Pet Vet Isabela is about half the price of the others so your funds will go farther. If you don’t want to wait for funds to come in for services consider using Pet Vet Isabela.
- You Understand Only Vet Services that are Life Threatening, Vaccinations & Fecal will be authorized prior to your animal’s fundraiser being fully funded. That means you have to email us past and future Vet services required, including prices weekly, We highly recommend you get an invoice/chart from the Vet each visit. Ask for past charges and future charges on a piece of paper before you leave the Vet, than take a photo and email to us ASAP. You understand? Yes or No?
- Quality & Compelling Photos & Story – We are NOT privately funded, we work to raise every dollar and people donate based on stories and photos! You must give us a detailed and compelling true story & quality photos (videos are great too) of why you and your animal needing rescuing and are needing financial assistance. Excellent examples of what we need are on our funding page here.
- Include in the text of the email the name, email address and phone number of the person taking the animal to the Vet – don’t forget to name each animal as mentioned above previously
- You accept and understand the animal is your responsibility, it is NOT Defensa’s responsibility, Yes or No?
- You release all photos you send to Defensa – your photos become public – to be used anywhere, Yes or No?
- You can and will upload videos to YouTube, make them public and email us the link, Yes or No?
- Are you going to be asking us to market the animal for adoption or are you keeping yourself? We offer the same help for either answer but we will immediately let the public know if you are marketing your animal for adoption.
- Will you include the URL of your Facebook account so we can expedite funding and communications, Yes or No?
- Will you join this closed Facebook group where we send those who want to Volunteer to help while vacationing or living in Rincon, Yes or No?
- Will you be sharing our posts and using the Facebook ‘Feeling Supporting’ or ‘Support NonProfit’ feature to raise donations for ‘Defensa Animal de Rincon’, Yes or No? (How To : share a post, select feeling -> supporting (or Support NonProfit) -> type in ‘Defensa Animal de Rincon’ – we pop up as a choice and select us.)
- You understand if we do not get at least one new photo from you daily we may close your wish and end Vet services funding, Yes or No?
- For dogs we highly recommend you Do NOT put the breed ‘Pitbull’ on any paperwork – There are too many breed specific laws against Pitbull – it is something to be avoided and most Vets understand dogs from the streets in Puerto Rico are mixed breeds and “Plott Hound” or “Alano Espanol” are normally a good and accurate choice!
#2 – Do ANOTHER separate email if you need Marketing for Adoption help
email to firstname.lastname@example.org the following
- Animal Sex
- Breed – Primary & Secondary if mixed breed – make a guess and confirm with Vet when you go **remember do not put Pitbull on any official documents – it will hinder your rescue from travel if ever needed.
- Two or three quality photos of your animal
- Direct contact to the rescuer/person responsible for adopting the animal out – we need city + zip code, phone & email
- Measurements for a travel crate. Only if you are open to flying your rescue off Island to be adoption. Please be very exact in measurements as the airlines have rules. Read our Travel page and how to measure
- You understand that if we don’t get weekly communications with you we will take down the adopt page, Yes or No?
General Important Information for you to know – For Adopting Your Rescue & Working with our OPEN RESCUE Program
- Keep in contact with us daily if you need our help, otherwise we do not manage your money or your rescue (vet services or adoption needs). We simply have too many animals/people needing our help and not enough volunteers to micromanage our program. We will always authorize fecal, vaccination and sterilizations if you work with us. Any funds raised not used will go to the next rescue. Any funds you need not raised will come from the last rescue. Nothing we do is for profit, all our money goes towards helping the animals.
- Reach out to a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER to take photos! They will make a huge difference in your rescue getting adopted.
- We will use your photos & rescue story from this email to create your fundraiser. For examples we strongly recommend you view our current Puerto Rico Rescued Animal (click).
- Reach out to Isabela Pet Vet at Jobos Beach email@example.com and ask if your rescue can participate in their PetCo Adoption Events.
- Reach out to Villa Michelle in Mayaquez to find out about participating in their big Adoption Events.
- We have you the rescuer decide on the best forever home for your rescued animal. That forever home can be with you the rescuer but you must still follow the email steps below. More on how adoptions work with Defensa on the very bottom of our Adopt Page.
- Be aware your rescued animal is FREE to a GREAT home, please let us neuter/spay **ALL ANIMALS** before giving your rescue to anyone.
- Answer quickly and honestly any adoption inquiries forwarded to your from Defensa – include Defensa in that communication (or update us if communication is done via phone not email)
- Market the animal on your own social media and network with your friends face to face – post cute short stories or videos DAILY .. people are watching and falling in love with your rescue SLOWLY!
- Make attempts to raise funds on your own and pass to Defensa. Google “online fundraising ideas”. Or ask a local business anywhere in the World to donate a percentage of their sales – promoting helping the animal. Or old fashion ‘bake sales’ work too.
- Write a review for Defensa on Great Non Profits page – people donate based on testimonials and real life experiences with Defensa.
- Get the best quality photos and videos you possibly can. Ask a friend to help ,because they make a huge difference.
- Write the best rescue story and updates you possibly can. Ask a friend to help, because they make a difference.
- Feed and take care of the animal including vet visits when needed – Keep your animal clean, de-tick, de-flea
- Share your animal with these other Rescue Groups – the more groups you work with the better your chances are of finding a great home and faster.