The Defensa Open Rescue Program
- Dogs/Puppies & Cats/Kittens *Note as of July 2017 we will try to help owned animals who otherwise would not be helped.
- Trap, Neuter, Release (TNR) of feral cats
- We help with Vet Services and Marketing for Adoption / We do not take in cats or dogs / We can take Horses if you get the Police or Owner to release to Defensa (more details on Horses on our Rescue page)
- We do NOT require adoption fees or donations – We do require constant email communication, updates, photos and the sharing of our fundraising efforts
- If you rescued or own a dog or cat from Rincon Puerto Rico you can also get help from ARF of Rincon/(939) 697-8161
- If you rescued or own a dog from anywhere in Puerto Rico you can also get help from Barks of Hope/201-966-196
- Check with are Other Rescue Groups , around the Island, to compensate for what we can’t do.
- We have you the rescuer to decide on the best forever home for your rescued animal. That forever home can be with you the rescuer but you must still follow the steps that apply to your needs
- We have no shelter, we do NOT take responsibility for dogs or cats – just horses if owner/police released
- If you need to fly your rescued animal off the Island please read our Airline Travel Page
- We tend to find homes for rescued animals within ONE to THREE months *IF* you work the following system with GUSTO!
Our work and the situation for the homeless animals in Puerto Rico has been reported on by
Horse Nation Standing Ovation
#1 – “LIKE” us on Facebook/DefensaRincon and post your rescued animal situation directly on our wall.
- POST the situation directly to our Defensa Facebook Page – PLEASE tell us the story of your rescue. We will use it to raise funds allowing us to help – please put some time and thought into telling the story in detail as it happened, inspiring people to help. FB will allow only one photo in the post – but you can add more photos in the comments after you post!
- Give the animal a NAME and don’t change that name while working with us. This helps us track the situation – it is also required for Vet records so stick with whatever name you use in your initial post.
- Tell everyone WHAT you are doing for the animal verses WHAT you need help with for the animal
#2 – After you make the post – SEND AN EMAIL if you’d like help with Vet services
email to firstname.lastname@example.org, answer all following questions that apply to your needs. Please give us up to 24hrs to respond to your email – sometimes we respond immediately but we can not guarantee that. We can not reimburse for services after the fact – to use our funding you need an email from us PRIOR TO going to our Vets. If you have an emergency situation, follow all these steps the same, add in the title of your email EMERGENCY SITUATION and really reach out on facebook for other help from individuals and groups as we may not respond in time. We have Vets, including 24×7 Clinics listed on our Vet page.
Note: We will use your photos & rescue story from this email to create your rescue a fundraiser. We will need to fund it prior to getting you non-life-threatening vet care.
- Animal Name – it must have a name for the Vet Office – the name can NOT change while you are working with Defensa – Please make sure that name is in the SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL – and it should be the same name you posted to our FB wall in above step – Please CONFIRM YOU MADE THE FB POST. Naming Notes: You can do one email for a litter of animals but they all still individual names.
- Include in the text of the email the name, email address and phone number of the person taking the animal to the Vet and You accept and understand the animal is your responsibility NOT Defensa’s responsibility, Yes or No?
- Which Vet would you like to use – Aguada AMC or Mayaquez Miradero or Isabela PetVet (see our Vets page for more information to decide). Picking Vet Notes:
- All owned animals must use Isabela Pet Vet.
- Mayaquez Miradero is the only one open Saturdays and late night.
- Cats are ALWAYS spay/neutered at Isabela Pet Vet unless you or a friend want to make a $50 donation.
- NOTE DECEMBER 2015 – until otherwise noted, all dogs under 60 lbs will also need to go to Isabela Pet Vet to be spay/neutered unless you or a friend want to make a $75 donation.
- Do NOT put the breed ‘Pitbull’ on any paperwork – see our Travel Page for other wiser options. There are too many breed specific laws against Pitbull – it is something to be avoided.
- List out what Vet Services are needed. Vaccinations, Fecal, Spay/Neuter – and ?
- Animal photos & Story of Rescue – we need lots of quality photos and a story to raise money. This should basically be what you wrote in your FB post on #1 above.
NOTE – as long as you are wanting to continue with Defensa funding (money from Defensa for Vet Services) for your rescue you will need to send us an update on the animal with photos via email to email@example.com EVERY DAY! You also MUST get photos of your animal at the Vet with a Vet or Vet Tech in the picture with your animal. We use the emails to raise donations. We are not a privately funded rescue group, we rely on the public to donation to your rescue. We will work hard to raise the money for your rescue but we can not do that without you driving the process and emailing us EVERY DAY UNTIL YOUR RESCUE IS FULLY FUNDED – Which can literally happen overnight, sometimes, because of generous people who help – But it takes excellent photos, rescue story and updates daily to happen! Work with the Vet to determine all future services required and the estimated costs for those services.
#3 – Do ANOTHER separate email if you need Marketing for Adoption help
email to firstname.lastname@example.org the following and we will create a ‘for adoption’ page that shows on our Animals for Adoption page as well as AllPaws, PetFinder, AdoptAPet, etc. Note for litters: All animals in a litter need to be adopted out individually so you will need a different email for each animal’s adopt page.
- Animal Sex
- Current Weight & Potential full grown weight – make a guess and confirm with Vet when you go
- Measurements of your dog because we will work to get a crate donated. This will be a travel crate so that if a home in the States is found (a home you approve of) we will have your dog ready to travel with a crate of his or her own. Please be very exact in measurements as the airlines have rules. Here is how to measure
- Breed – Primary & Secondary if mixed breed – make a guess and confirm with Vet when you go **remember do not put Pit bull on any official documents – it will hinder your rescue from travel if ever needed.
- Two or three quality photos of your animal – showing the face and eyes move people.
- Story and Bio on your animal – i.e., do they get along with other dogs, cats, children & people. Include your personal contact information, email and phone number for the public
- Exactly where the animal will be kept city, phone & email
General Important Information for you to know – For Open Rescue Defensa may
- *Spay/Neuter (*sterilization is a MUST unless otherwise directed by the Vet)
- Spay the Mother of any puppies or kittens born to an owned dog/cat. We need to stop the cycle, this is required.
- De worm
- Create an Adopt Page that will be available on PetFinder, AllPaws & AdoptAPet
- *IF YOU NEED MORE HELP with Vet care or food or anything … we will help you ask the public – we do not fund unless donations are made
General Important Information for you to know – For Adopting Your Rescue
- Reach out to a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER to take photos! They will make a huge difference in your rescue getting adopted. If you are anxious to find your animal a home you can even send us photos, stories and short videos daily. We will market your animal for adoption as much (or as little) as you market your animal for adoption!!!
- Defensa has Big Red ‘Adopt Me’ bandannas your rescued dog can wear while out on walks, email us to arrange to borrow one.
- Be aware your rescued animal is FREE to a GREAT home, please let us neuter/spay before giving your rescue to anyone. We welcome and need donations but they are NOT required if you feel the home is an excellent home for your rescued animal. Make sure you pass all Vet records onto adopters (keep with your rescue Vet records – which Vets and which services have been received). If you need help deciding if the home is a good home we are here to help you – start by asking the interested adopter the questions at the bottom of our Adopt Page. NOTE: If another rescue group wants to help you place your animal and they want to collect an adoption fee that is fine with Defensa.
- Answer quickly and honestly any adoption inquiries forwarded to your from Defensa – include Defensa in that communication (or update us if communication is done via phone not email)
- Market the animal on your own social media and network with your friends face to face – post cute short stories or videos DAILY .. people are watching and falling in love with your rescue SLOWLY!
- Make attempts to raise funds for the animals eventual adoption/family (travel fees may be involved). Google “online fundraising ideas”. Or ask a local business anywhere in the world to donate a percentage of their sales – promoting helping the animal. Or old fashion ‘bake sales’ work too. If you raise money via a fundraising activity Defensa will require at a minimum reimbursement of money spent by Defensa to help rescue your animal. Defensa won’t continue to work with the same Open Rescuer if they use Defensa finances without attempting to help Defensa find donations AND assist in marketing their rescued animal for adoption.
- Feed and take care of the animal including vet visits when needed – Keep your animal clean, de-tick, de-flea – Again, if you need financial help with this please post to our Facebook Wall and we will work to get donations specifically for your animal. People want to help but you have to ask.
- Share your animal with these other Rescue Groups – the more groups you work with the better your chances are of finding a great home and faster.