Horse Rescue in Puerto Rico
Do You Want To Help a Horse in Puerto Rico?
If yes, we are here to help but please understand You (or Defensa) can NOT just take someone’s horse if you don’t like how they treat it, Just as you can not take someone’s child if you don’t like how they treat it. We have to get the Police involved if you do not have the owner’s permission.
That said, if the horse needs water – please take it water in a bucket. If the horse looks hungry you can buy it a bail of hay or alfalfa at one of the many Agro stores or cut some grass for it – cautiously – approach and give horses hay/alfalfa/grass/water.
If the horse looks to be ‘starving’, injured, in ‘imminent danger’, ‘needs rescuing’ or just loose and could end up in the streets call 911 immediately and reference Law 154. All 911 operators are bilingual (or someone at the call center will be) and they can 3-way call the local STATE police with you. Ask the local STATE POLICE DEPARTMENT to issue a ‘querella‘/case and have them investigate the situation. They may request you to go into the local STATE Police Station. Do that if they request that. You can ask to remain anonymous on the formal querella/case report. **IF the police are not helpful, please don’t give up**. Gather the below information and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. What we need to help is
- The querella number with phone number to the police station filed at along with name of the officers you spoke with. If they refused to issue a querella/case number get us the phone number and officer name of the station you called.
- Your contact information – ideally cell phone and facebook messenger communications. We won’t make this public – it is just for us to communicate with you when more information is needed
- Exact location of the horse with a google map marker
- Good photos of the horse showing the areas of concern – videos less than 1 minute each
- If you can find get the following it will expedite help to the horse
- Name of the owner
- Google map marker to owner’s house
- License plate of the owner
- Note – If you find the owner you can ask to purchase the horse and then release the horse to Defensa ($100 or $200 might be all it costs to save the horse). But keep in mind, an owner may hide a horse if they don’t like your offer or attention, and then the horse could be worse off than before! We recommend always contacting the police to start and let them find the owner. Also please know we DO NOT WANT to take everyone’s horse! We would prefer to help owners care for their horses! Our resources and our land our limited – we can help more horses by helping more owners!
As of March 2018 Defensa is the ONLY 501c3 on the Island of Puerto Rico actively helping the unwanted street horses of Puerto Rico! We are looking forward to removing this line from this page!!!
Learn more about our Hope4Horses Program.
In Rincon the State Police Station is here on google maps. Most cities are on google maps – look for “Policia Estatals”.
Other Groups & Individuals who work with Horses in Puerto Rico / They may not rescue horses but they can help work with you and with Defensa
- We need to make the Media aware. To change the perception and make people aware they can act to help. You can do this via the Media Outlets that follow, for when you can’t find help for a horrific situation – Links to FB pages where you can message them photos and information
- In Rincon the State Police are 787-823-2020 located in the downtown here
- Horse and Pony Inc. on Facebook in Caguas area
- Lisa 939-339-0136 in Isabella area
- Mayaquez Recogido de Caballos Realengos 787-833-7272 or 787-833-5085
- Audry 787-313-5653
- Anasco Acosta Stables / La Quinta de Aragón (939) 264-1181
- Horse Rescue Caribbean on Facebook in Rio Grande area
- For the Love of Horses on Facebook Rincon area FB Group
- Fundacion Puertorriqueña Amigos del Caballo 787-237-2727 or 787-594-0890
- Caribbean Thoroughbred Aftercare Inc. Rio Grande 787-426-0845
- Colegio de Médicos Veterinario de Puerto Rico