Horse Rescue in Puerto Rico
Do You Want To Help a Horse in Puerto Rico?
If yes, you MUST be willing to communicate with our Horse Abuse Investigative Team. We can keep your information confidential.
Please read this page in full while not in a rush as horses have great value in Puerto Rico. You can NOT just take someone’s horse if you don’t like how they treat them, Just as you can not take someone’s child if you don’t like how they treat them. We have to get the Police involved if you do not have the owner’s permission and you do not own the horse.
If the horse needs water – please take it water in a bucket. If you would like to learn to interact with horses to help when you see a horse on a rope or in need please consider attending our Free Horse Class.
If the horse looks to be ‘starving’, injured, in ‘imminent danger’, ‘needs rescuing’ or just loose and could end up in the streets **- WE MUST FIND THE OWNER **AND/OR GET** the local STATE POLICE DEPARTMENT. If either will release the horse to Defensa we can come pick up the horse and take it into our Hope4Horses Program.
You Can Get The Police Involved by ….. Calling 911 if the horse could be considered a threat to the community – i.e, cause a car accident. You can try 911 for other horse issues – but we aren’t sure they will help you. They may however connect you with the local State Police and you can
- Open a case (querella) with the State Police
- Email us the querella number, phone number to the office and name of the officer you spoke with
If you don’t want to find the owner or work with the police we need an email from you with the following:
- You contact information – ideally cell phone and facebook messenger communications.
- Exact location of the horse with a google map marker
- Good photos of the horse showing the areas of concern – videos too are good
- Name of the owner if you can find it
- Google map marker to owner’s house if you can find it
- License plate of the owner if you can find it
Without these items we can not do anything if outside of Rincon Puerto Rico. Because we are based out of Rincon and have a relationship with our State Police only. But other groups you can reach out to directly are listed below.
If you find the owner you can ask to purchase the horse and then release the horse to Defensa ($100 or $200 might be all it costs to save the horse). Use our Horse Release Medical form or our Horse Release Ownership form (both are bilingual – you can download, print and have them sign). If you decide to look for the owner without the police, consider taking a photo of the horse to surrounding ‘feed’ / ‘agricultural’ stores, to see if anyone knows anything.
While you are looking for the owner and/or filing a police report you can post to our Facebook/DefensaRincon wall. Just locate the ‘Visitor Posts’ section. Include in your post all the important information without accusing anyone of wrong doing. Sometimes people rescue horses and while they are rehabilitating they can look bad. By sharing to Social Media we can rally help. This works very well! If you have multiple photos or videos add the additional ones in a comment of your post after you post it.
NOTE: Situations that require putting a horse down, i.e, broken leg, hit by a car – “Pursuant to Law 154, in an emergency situation where the transportation of an animal becomes impossible, the person in charge or finds the animal in such a state shall call the nearest Police station so that he or she (police) calls the veterinarian. In case the veterinarian cannot make it to the scene, the vet may instruct the police to give the animal a compassionate death through a shot of grace (tiro de gracia). This shot can only be discharged by a Police and only after consulting with the vet.”
Other Groups & Individuals who help Horses in Puerto Rico
- In Rincon the State Police are 787-823-2020 located in the downtown here
- Horse and Pony Inc. on Facebook in Caguas area
- Lisa 939-339-0136 in Isabella area
- Mayaquez Recogido de Caballos Realengos 787-833-7272 or 787-833-5085
- Audry 787-313-5653
- Anasco Stables (787) 464-2052 – Close to Mayaquez
- Horse Rescue Caribbean on Facebook in Rio Grande area
- For the Love of Horses on Facebook Rincon area FB Group
- Fundacion Puertorriqueña Amigos del Caballo 787-237-2727 or 787-594-0890