Defensa Horse Class | Equine Education | Riding Horses
Defensa can work with individuals, schools and communities to offer Equine Education, Riding Lessons & Experiences, Pony Rides & Birthday or Special Occasion Horses. Most times these activities will require a donation be made to Defensa, the donation goes towards the costs of the activity itself as well as to the daily care for our rescued horses. The purpose of this work is to inspire and educate more people to advocate for all horses in Puerto Rico, as well as to expose our rescued horses to more individuals in hopes of adopting out more of our rescued horses. We are not a ‘riding school’ – we are a Federal and Puerto Rico Non Profit Animal Rescue Group.
If you’d like to support our efforts you can make a donation or purchase an Amazon Horse Wishlist gift for our horses to support our work as written about in the Horse Nation Standing Ovation. More information after our photos
We highly recommend Rincon’s Pintos “R” Us Trail Rides if you are wanting to experience horseback riding in Rincon Puerto Rico. They offer beach and trail rides daily and year round by appointment only (787) 516-7090. PintosRUs and Defensa Rescue Horses in partnership via their Hope4Horses Horse Rescue Program. If you are looking for regular riding lessons we highly recommend La Quinta de Aragón located in Anasco.
Working with horses can teach all ages to respect & rescue horses as well as teach patients, confidence, compassion for animals and tenaciousness! Our classes follow “Natural horsemanship” styles – no wiping or hitting.
Requirements for working with our horses
- By invitation R.S.V.P only please, for security and safety reasons – email us at email@example.com if interested.
- Protective shoes – lace up tennis shoes or boots for students and parents of students 16 years or younger. Barefoot, flip flops or crocs are not allowed – sorry but horses accidentally step on toes.
- Release of Liability/Be Responsible for Your Own Safety (& The Safety of Your Child) – You will need to sign a yearly Defensa Horse Class Waiver releasing Defensa, all of the volunteers and all of the property owners of any and all liability. If you can not print the waiver email us and we will send you an email to use as a release- firstname.lastname@example.org. Bring a protective bike helmet if desired, where clothes that will protect you, shoes as mentioned, etc. Defensa and it’s volunteer are NOT responsible for the safety of anyone.
- Students Under 16 yrs Require Parents Attendance – During the full class please.
- Riding is always limited to 175lbs or less but there are no limits to whom can learn to rescue, love, interact with and care for horses.
Depending on your lifestyle, owning a horse in Puerto Rico can be easy and affordable. If you want to learn how to find and own a horse in Puerto Rico please reach out to us via email@example.com
Class Locations & Times do Vary. Please make sure you confirm your date and location via email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance, you are welcome to just show up but if you need help/information/confirm-there-is-room-for-you we need 24hours to respond.
- Puntas ‘Cuchillo de Pina’ – Class riding is here in Puntas off 413. If it is raining or a storm is on the radar/forecast class will be canceled.
- Puntas ‘By The Beach’ – Class will have a base camp here in Casa Islena parking lot, but riding might be on the beach or on the street depending on student’s who attend.
- Puntas ‘On The Beach’ – Class starts here at the beach in Puntas close to ‘Playa Don Antonio/Casa Islena’, If it is raining or a storm is on the radar/forecast class will be canceled.
- Puntas ‘On the hill’ – Class starts here on the hill in Puntas. Please remember to park off to the side of the main road and not in the driveways of the people’s homes.
- Puntas ‘Private Classes’ – Class starts here off the 413 in Puntas.